One of the most important aspects of a sign is its visibility; a sign that lacks visibility also lacks the ability to clearly and quickly communicate the intended message. All traffic signs must be reflective; but other signs can benefit from increased visibility as well. In order to be bright and visible at night, or in darkened conditions, signs must either be directly illuminated with specific lighting, or be coated with a retroreflective sheeting.
Retroreflective sheeting material can be white or colored, and is composed of miniature glass beads or microprismatic lenses that form a smooth, sealed layer over the entire surface. This layer reflects headlights and other light sources back to the eyes of the people who need it most, drivers and other road users. Because different roads and terrain have different needs, Hall Signs offers three different grades of reflective sheeting:Engineer Grade
- Estimated lifespan: 5 to 7 years
- Best for: low-volume, lower-speed traffic and little competing surrounding light.
- Estimated lifespan: 8 to 10 years
- Best for: all traffic situations. Highly reflective at wide angles to approaching traffic. More durable than Engineer grade.
- Estimated lifespan: 10 to 12 years
- Best for: all traffic situations. Delivers optimal performance at all sight distances; performs well in all light and weather situations.
- Fluorescent Yellow (warning), Fluorescent Yellow Green (school, pedestrian and bicycle), and Fluorescent Orange (construction) signs are only available in Diamond Grade™ DG3 sheeting.
Each Hall Sign is manufactured in our facility, ensuring consistent quality no matter what grade of reflective sheeting you choose. Knowing your signage needs, your budgetary requirements, desired lifespan, and most importantly, the setting, placement, and traffic of your installation site; all can help determine the type of reflective of sheeting best suited to each specific sign.
You may also need to meet city, county, state, or federal specifications and regulations. Contacting your local agency for more information is recommended before proceeding with your order. Being prepared in all aspects of the project is the best practice for making sure the final product reflects not just oncoming headlights, but is reflective of a safer, more convenient and informative road experience for everyone on the road.